TODAY THE ONE THING EVERYONE CAN DO TO ASSIST THE FIGHT AGAINST THE CORONA VIRUS: FILL OUT THE CENSUS2020 Census Matters More Than Ever
Completing your 2020 United States Census is now more important than ever for the future of Northeast Pennsylvania. In general, the Census helps determine the amount of federal funding our local municipalities and the County receive, which while always crucial will play an even larger role now as the area recovers from the COVID-19 crisis gripping the nation.
Why It Matters
Each census response from the community has the potential to help the area move forward from our current crisis, while ensuring that Luzerne County and its municipalities can meet the needs of its residents over the next ten years. Here is a breakdown of how powerful taking the time to complete the census can be:
- Each person counted equals $2,100 in federal funding each year for a variety of federal projects, including: social programs, infrastructure, roads, prisons, schools and parks.
- If we miss just 500 people county-wide, that comes out to over $1 million per year, and $10 million total until the next census
- Additionally, the census can decide how the concerns of Luzerne County residents are heard in Washington, D.C. since it helps determine Electoral College votes and congressional districts
While April 1 st is considered Census Day, responses will be collected over the next several months, but the earlier the response the better. When you respond to the census, count everyone living in your home as of April 1 st. There are several options available to complete your census:
- Online– Visit www.2020census.gov .
- By Phone– Call 844-330-2020. Phone lines are open every day from 7am to 2am Eastern Time.
- By mail– All homes will receive a paper questionnaire if they do not first respond online or by phone. Simply fill out form and return it via mail.
- Track the response rate in your community in real time: https://2020census.gov/en/response-rates.html
- For questions on who should be counted and language support visit: https://2020census.gov/en/ways-to-respond.html